Monday, May 17, 2010

Catching Up - Part 1

First day of actual work - Complete!  I'll get to that later.  First, let's catch up on what happened yesterday - Day 1.  As I was saying before I had to sleep for a few hours, we left Miami on a normal American Airlines flight.  The plane looked slightly older than many I've seen, but I wasn't worried until this happened during takeoff...




That's not an oxygen mask falling from the ceiling - that is aircraft circuitry.  Not sure what that was all about, or why everyone seemed so calm about it, but an attendant quickly banged it back into place.  The other thing I noticed, probably for the first time in my life, was that there were many more black people on the plane than there were white people.  Rarely have I thought about how I'm part of the majority in the U.S.;  It wasn't until I found myself in the minority that it really even entered my mind.  The thought faded quickly because we would soon be swinging hammers and sweating shoulder to shoulder with people simply trying to rebuild their lives, all of us image-bearers of God.  Just like at the Red House


The drive to the compound took about 45 minutes and it was almost surreal.  After leaving the city we would pass beautiful green fields that sat beside tropical blue water, opposite rolling mountain terrain that was spotted with blue tent cities.  The view would alternate between beauty and devastation; there were homes left in ruins, sometimes nothing but dust left of a row of houses, then lush property that would go for millions of dollars on any stretch of the coastline in the U.S.



See the rest of the photos HERE.  When we finally got to the Global Outreach compound, Scott, who had picked us up at the Airport, introduced us to his wife, Janet.  These two are amazing.  They've been here since February 1st working to support the teams who volunteer each week.  They employ several local nationals as drivers and project leaders and the impact they're having is very obvious as you move into the areas they've been working.  I'll share some of that with you soon.  Before that, you really need to hear about what happened on the rest of day 1; stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment